Registrations from eligible candidates for the Diversity Visa (DV) Program – 2014 will be open from Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), to Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4).
Specific instructions for the 2014 DV lottery have not yet been made available. I will post the instructions here as soon as they are published by the government.
For those of you who do not know about the USA Diversity Visa Program, and for the others who already are aware about it but would like to brush up their knowledge, below is some information on the program.
- The Diversity Visa Program is more commonly known as the Green Card Lottery.
- The DV program issues 50,000 immigrant visas each fiscal year.
- These visas are given to applicants chosen randomly from the lottery program.
- Only persons from those countries from where there have been not more than 50,000 immigrants to the US during the past 5 years can participate.
- Visas are distributed over 6 geographical regions.
- Each country within a region is eligible for only 7% of the available visas.
- Applicants should have a high school education or its equivalent, or show 2 years of work experience in a job requiring training or work experience worth 2 years, withing the last 5 years.
- The applications must be submitted online – electronically.
- The applications must be submitted on the government website within the registration period (see above).
- There is no fee associated with this application.
- Photos, meeting the specified requirements, need to be uploaded along with the application.
- The principal applicant has to include information and photos of all family members (spouse and children below the age of 21) in the application, irrespective of whether they are going to immigrate with the applicant or not.
- The applicant’s family members who are already green card holders need not have their name included in the application.
- One applicant can send in only one application. If there are multiple applications by the same person, the entries will be disqualified.
- Both spouses can file individual applications if both meet the eligibility requirements.
Look out to this space for more information on the USA Green Card Lottery 2014.